This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.thisisglamorous.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

4.11.10

{holiday hair how-to: the side chignon}

side-chignon3

. . . for late lunch dates and last-minute meetings, it's been mostly chic & messy topknots, and sometimes, even, a classic chignon -- but as the holiday invitations begin to pile up, something a little more sophisticated is in order for those elegant dinner parties filled with sparkling crystal champagne flutes and conversations that last long after the crème brulée has been served -- and of course, the perfect solution is the always lovely side chignon . . .





side-chignon1

{one}
using a round brush, blow-dry hair smooth and straight, focusing on the top sections

{two}
once dry, use a large-barrel curling iron to create waves from the ears down

{three}
build height and volume at the crown by teasing hair gently with a fine-tooth comb

{four}
gather hair into a low ponytail; twist it along the nape of your neck, pinning as you go

{five}
once you reach your ear, shape the remaining hair into curls, and pin them back over

{six}
red, red lips and platform peeptoes and you're set!
{p.s.} previous how-to's:
* a classic english hand-tied bouquet
* a driftwood table lamp
* a fun weekend project
* a glamorous guide to champagne


{images: martha stewart weddings via hip hip gin gin; instructions via martha stewart weddings, with the exception of step number 6; numbered image sequence composed by this is glamorous}

58 | notes :

Chapstick Fanatic [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

love this! i was thinking about how to wear my hair for our holiday party. i guess i should find a dress first!

http://lachapstickfanatique.blogspot.com

angie [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

so pretty! i'll see if i can do it with my own hair. hah!

Natalie [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

I love this! So pretty and classy.

anita siraki [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

i LOVE wearing side ponies/buns...i'm definitely going to be trying out this style :)

Olimpia Elide [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

I wanna try this chignon! Now my hair are a little bit longer: maybe I could do that. ;-)
So elegant!
XOXO
Olimpia

Naomi [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

I will never cut my hair shorter than my shoulders. What an easy chignon.

DiamondsandTulle [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

Gorgeous! Love this!

xx Vivian @ http://diamondsandtulle.blogspot.com

Martina Rosenberg [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

How adorable. And simple. Thanks... running to mirror to see if "they" are long enough now...
kind regards, Martina
http://chatelainesdreams.blogspot.com/

ceo [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

so cute.....


xxx
CEO

kelsey [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

This was the article I used for my wedding hair. Love it.

http://www.stonecrandall.com/?bp=145

Carissa @ the Fabulous Design File [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

Oh if only I could make my hair look so chic and elegant... worth a try, but I can totally see mine ending up in a big hot mess.

Casee Marie [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

This is beautiful! I've always wondered how to achieve it; I'll certainly be giving it a try.

Samantha [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

What a beautiful how-to! Thanks for sharing. I might try this for a family holiday party this fall!

-Samantha
http://sincerelysamantha.com

KiraLynn [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

I just stumbled upon this post. I'm bookmarking it just hoping I get invited to a party soon to try it out. Also, I need her shade of lipstick!

{this is glamorous} [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

kelsey – oh! how lovely!

kiralynn – lipstick is clinique long last lipstick in red, red, red

xo

Stephanie [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

my favorite up-do. It's casual chic. Thanks for sharing :)

Nuha Sofiyan [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

ooh i love this! but then again that model has the most beautiful hair!

Heather Pranitis [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

Your post is making it on my blog for my ...this & that...Thursday. Thank you for posting this today. This is a "must-do" hairstyle for my upcoming vacation...
Thanks again!

FXOX [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

Miss R, great post, Im going to try it!!:-)

hugs FXOXO

Laura Trevey [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

looks fabulous for a fun night out on the town!!

Galaxy Girl [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

Thanks! I may give this a try! It's much more chic and unique than the typical bun. I love the asymetrical look!

November Grey [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

This is gorgeous!!! Thank you! I also love how you added in your previous how-to's.

xx

November Grey

Styles 'n Cream [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

This is such a nice style. And I love the red hair .. I have an obsession with the red heads right now ... Thanks for the tutorial. I might give it a try this weekend.

xo,
Rali

Anne-Marie @ 10 Rooms [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

O love this style, but I am drooling over the color, as well! If this doesn't tempt you to go red, what would?

sunny [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

Wow..I saw this same hairstyle on the host of Biggest Loser - a couple episodes ago..I couldn't stop staring at her hair. Figured it was too complicated to try....And now I see your tutorial. LOVE it. Must try it!

Bridget [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

amazing

jsimplylive [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

The chignon never goes out of style. Always elegant.

ana castilho [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

loved the hairdo!

www.mundoforladies.com

Anonymous [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

ADORABLE!!!
very feminine, chic and french!
will try it soon...

xoxo

Bostonista [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

really pretty! I'm not a "hair" girl- I either have it down and messy or up in a pony tail so I really appreciate step-by-step instructions!
xo

The Simply Luxurious Life [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

Such a helpful, straighforward guide. Thank you for sharing.

andrea [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

wow thanks for sharing this!

Mrs4444 [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

This is kind of a fun post for me, because it's from a lane I'm not really in, haha. It's fun to watch you young people (yes, I said it, and I know that officially makes me old) have fun with hairdos and accessories :)

The model, btw, is gorgeous. Is it you?

Sarah Klassen [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

I so want to try this! I love that she is also a fair redhead with blue eyes -- I can actually picture this working on me, except that I have bangs -- Cecile Cassel style -- but easily pulled back when needed. I will definitely link an image if I can do this :)

dnice [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

Yes, I remember this from Martha Stewart Weddings. The WHOLE spread was gorgeous!

Jay [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

gorgeous! I am definitely going to try to do it this holiday season :)

commonsenseandstilettos.blogspot.com

Leigha [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

Thanks so much! Cannot wait to try it out. I love the practical application - but I fear I won't look quite so polished. Eeek.

Have a gorgeous week dear.

Leigha

the lil bee [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

So so pretty. I'm going to a wedding on Friday. I think I might try this, too!

Ms_SyllyBee [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

what a beautiful look!

thanks for the how-to.

:)

i wander, i wonder

Anonymous [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

What curling iron is that? I´d really like to find out

Mano Bello [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

I love this...casual AND elegant at the same time....I'm trying it!
Thanks for the "how-to".
<3

Cara Jess Mason [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

I featured this on my blog!
http://themidkid.blogspot.com/2011/02/stuff-i-like-sunday_27.html

xoxo Cara Mason

Flora Fricker [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

Wow, this is utterly beautiful, I think I'm going to have to have my hair like this for prom!

www.flora-fricker.blogspot.com

BeauBella [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

Love this, its beautiful! I want to try it today! :)

Mystery Robin [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

I'm feeling kind of silly for not understanding, but could someone tell me if there is an elastic in the low ponytail? Or do you just gather the hair into a ponytail and then pin it in place, forgoing the elastic?

Thank you!

Mia [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

Lovely!! thanks! This will be great for my Vegas vacation this week!

{this is glamorous} [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

mystery robbin -- you could add the elastic if you like or if it makes it easier, but here, it just calls for gathering the hair up like you would for a low ponytail, and then pinning it as you move along to one side -- hope that helps!

Kia [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

so glad to see this. I am actually going to a wedding this weekend and just love this idea. Hope I can make it work. =)

Please Hold The Cheese [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

I'm obsessed. Anyone who comes within five feet of me had been getting a side chignon. And I've been wearing this several days a week to work. Everyone has been raving about it! Thank you!!!!

Anonymous [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

how do u pin it once u gather it to the ear? do you twist it in a bun and then pin?

{this is glamorous} [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

anonymous -- you create curls with your fingers, and then pin each :)

TheSunshineDistrict [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

What a lovely tutorial! Thanks for sharing :)
xo Jac

Hope [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

Think that this is so classy!

Quinn [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

How do you go from step 4 to step 5.. Just 'pin them back over' doesn't help me.. It looks terrible when I do it..

{this is glamorous} [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

quinn -- create individual curls with your fingers, and then pin x

Pam [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

Love this hair style.
As with a few of the other girls, I wish there were a few more how-to pictures between steps 4 & 5 to show how to pin the twist (my bobby pins seem to want to pop out) and form/pin the curls.
Will give it a try and hope for the best!
It seems in a lot of the tutorials the major how-to step of the style is missing (like the above between steps 4 & 5) for us who don't have hair style schooling. Perhaps a few more pictures and steps could be added in future posts.
Love all the ideas.

Pléthorie [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

Love this one ,Georgeous :)

Jessy [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

I love this hairstyle...I'd love to do this for my wedding day. Tried practicing but it's so difficult to do with long hair :/

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping in to say hello -- it's lovely to hear from you!

j u s t a f e w t h i n g s
Please note that due to the inordinate amount of spam, comments with links to other sites may not be published; all self-promotion & promotions of give-aways on other sites will not be published; additionally, please include your blog address in the box provided, and not in the body of your comment.

Thank you xo