This Page

has moved to a new address:

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service


{take me away № 34 | city guide № 4 : new york city}

by sarah klassen for {this is glamorous} | editing & image compilation by roséline | view previous articles

take-me-away-hed (2)

"I love New York, even though it isn't mine, the way something has to be, a tree or a street or a house, something, anyway, that belongs to me because I belong to it." —Breakfast at Tiffany's

New York. A place that stirs within dreams, that lies deep inside hearts, and one that many, many long to simply be a part of. Perhaps it is thanks to the sheer nature and unique diversity of this grand city; or maybe it is because New York is, simply put, a place where everything seems possible -- everything seems to be heightened, everything seems to be present. A patchwork of culture, art, science, architecture, culinary arts, theatre, dance, literature, business, design -- nearly everything imaginable -- is New York.


If one is drawn to music, New York is a stage; if one is drawn to elegance and glamour, beautiful design, exquisite shops and captivating sights are not far off. For art, the pavement is a canvas of imagination, and a maze of museums and galleries are never far away. The city brims with life, passion, and and undeniable energy that is exciting and intoxicating -- it is the life, the very soul, of New York.


Home to extraordinary talents -- those who have composed shows for the theatre that captured rows upon rows, spellbound, with a story never to be forgotten; and others, who sung love songs to the city, New York New York, and those who have made iconic films -- works of art, of passion, of dedication and life, flow from the city.


In 1698, New York City had a population of a mere 4,937 people, and today? Over 8.1 million people reside there, making it the single most populous city in all of the United States. But it is not only populous with residents alone -- millions upon millions of visitors near and far travel to the city, and in 2007 alone, there 46 million visitors. And some leave their present lives behind -- leave their friends, family and all that they have known, to chase the dream of living and being a part of the city. For New York bears an intoxicating energy that is everlasting, an energy that is impossible to deny, and impossible to forget . . .


{a few fun facts about the city} . . .

* the Brooklyn Bridge was the very first bridge created to be lit using electricity
* each year, more than 250 feature films are shot on location in New York City
* the Brooklyn Children’s Museum was the world’s premier museum for kids
* Hong Kong is the only city known to have more skyscrapers than New York City
* New York's Central Park is remarkably larger than the principality of Monaco
* there are more than 18,600 restaurants and eating establishments within the city
* New York's famous yellow cabs are coloured so thanks to John Hertz, the company's founder, who learned from a study that yellow was the easiest color for the eye to spot


But for those who long to visit and hold a bit of the city in their hearts, a trip to New York is the perfect opportunity . . . the opportunity to wake up, put the agenda to the side for a day, and follow one's senses alone; to pick up a cup of hot coffee and a croissant and head down the streets . . . to come across the most quaint boutique and stop in for a browse . . . then it's off to the library, where volumes and volumes overwhelm, for an hour or two flipping though pages; a
nd of course, a most grand park awaits, with carriage rides to take, and numerous perfect spots to settle in for a picnic, complete with refreshing palegrino, baguettes, cheese, and fruit; perhaps afterward, an afternoon of monuments, art, and pictures await, followed by an evening of dining, dancing and tickets to the theatre.


And as one sinks cozily between the sheets, the day's activities replay -- for each time you visit, the city is different, yet remarkably the same, constantly changing yet at once, familiar. As the sun casts its golden rays against the silhouette of layered buildings, a new day has opened and beckons you to be a part of it . . .

And so, we invite you to stop over to a brand new city guide created for New York City, and discover an array of Laily's wonderful suggestions on places to dine, to see, to stay, and most importantly, to experience.



{what to pack: tips from laily}

Make sure to check the weather, NYC experiences all seasons!

* light cardiganicon, for fall or summer evenings
* ballet flatsicon for daytime (lots of walking the city!)
* cocktail dressesicon and high heelsicon for nights out
* umbrellaicon, rain bootsicon and trenchcoaticon for unexpected downpours


Also, getting around NYC is super easy. You can hail a cab from virtually any street corner or you can buy a metro card...the metro is super fast and convenient!

-- Laily

p r e v i o u s l y :

* take me away № 01 | perfectly packed
* take me away № 02 | luggage to last a lifetime
* take me away № 03 | tips for buying luggage
* take me away № 04 | vintage & antique luggage
* take me away № 05 | the travel file
* take me away № 06 | an equestrian escape
* take me away № 07 | la maison du chocolat
* take me away № 08 | holiday etiquette
* take me away № 09 | st. petersburg, russia
* take me away № 10 | holiday etiquette, part two
* take me away № 11 | travel by train
* take me away № 12 | venice, italy
* take me away № 13 | a wintry escape
* take me away № 14 | the magic of winter gardens
* take me away № 15 | bora bora
* take me away № 16 | valentine's inspiration for a romantic getaway
* take me away № 17 | the most beautiful rose gardens around the world
* take me away № 18 | a glamorous guide to champagne
* take me away № 19 | barcelona, spain
* take me away № 20 | a tour of a few of the best millinery studios around the world
* take me away № 21 | city guides № 1 : paris
* take me away № 22 | what to pack for paris
* take me away № 23 | dublin, ireland
* take me away № 24 | hong kong, china
* take me away № 25 | the enchanting world of lace
* take me away № 26 | the cherry blossoms of tokyo
* take me away № 27 | mykonos, greece
* take me away № 28 | the lavender fields of provence
* take me away № 29 | city guides № 03 : london, england
* take me away № 30 | sail away with me
* take me away № 31 | gelato tasting in italy

* take me away № 32 |
the best beach cottages to stay around the world
* take me away № 33 | lisbon, portugal
* take me away № 34 | city guides № 4 : new york

[image sources & credits : one /// two /// three /// four /// five /// six /// seven /// eight /// nine]

16 | notes :

Page Song [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

i love the photos! they're gorgeous!!! :)

Callie Grayson [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

I need to get back to New York for a visit! I hadn't been in years.
Great post, inspires me to go very soon!

Anonymous [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

Gosh, I love this article! I used to live there, and you hit the nail on the head. I miss that great city.

Luli [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

I love visiting NY. I'm only 3 hours away by train.

Mostly Lisa [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

I am absolutely in LOVE with this post. I just got back from New York three weeks ago, and I miss it with a passion. It is truly a magical place where you can be yourself.


Mostly Lisa

Michelle [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

Thank you so much for showcasing the beauty, diversity and passion of my home. I've lived here all my life and maintain a love relationship with my city. It is sometimes maddening but never dull.


Theresa [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

This is a lovely post and a real good combination of NYC atmosphere. The thing I did after reading your post: I headed over to and searched for flights and then I looked at vacation apartments ;). You inspired me ;)

Chelsea [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

Beautifully written. You should write a book!!

Anonymous [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

I absolutely love the way your words flow!

NYC is the love of my life and each day as I awake I am filled with such gratitude to live in a city that so many dream to visit. Yes it is sometimes maddening and I do have friends who after visiting from out of town wonder how I can live in such a fast paced city but NYC is a city that has been my greatest teacher and guide in becoming the woman I am today. I have dreams of moving to Tokyo one day but for a brief stint as I know I would not be able to stand being away from NYC too long!

The city guide is lovely but it is just a snippet of the seemingly endless things to do in NYC. Free movies in the park during the summer, ice skating in the winter, parades for almost everything and every country, dancing till the club closes followed by a bite to eat at Cafeteria or L'Express and getting home at 7am, long walks hand in hand with someone you love...and on and on. And I see Brooklyn mentioned a few times but don't forget the Bronx (where I am from!), Queens and Staten Island. There is so much to do and see in these outer boroughs and just add to the dynamic and diversity of NYC.

{this is glamorous} [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

anonymous -- hello! happy you like the article, and yes, new york is a lovely place; sarah has been a few times, and p & i have been so often, it is like a third home [paris being the second] -- and laily, well she is the one who compiled the actual city guide, and she is a new yorker and lives in chelsea; yes, there are many things to do in the outer boroughs, but as the guide is for new visitors, she included the things that would be best -- some iconic, and some more off the beaten path -- for those with a limited amount of time x

Anonymous [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

The guide is perfect for new visitors, so beautifully written and not a single detail left out!

The world is filled with so many wonderful cities and not nearly enough time to experience the fullness of each of them. Gratefully your blog has an immeasurable magical capacity to transport me into a realm where for a brief moment I feel a part of the photos :) Thank you for your time and energy and love to bring such beauty to so many.

Wishing you a wonderful weekend!

Stephanie Niko [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

Home sweet home!

What’s wonderful about New York, in addition to all the lovely things you’ve mentioned, is that it’s a city that means so many different things to different people. There’s the New York of the Metropolitan Opera-going crowd. The New York of the stiletto-teetering waifs shopping in Soho. The New York of delicious dumplings in Chinatown. The New York of the avant-garde arts. The New York of fancy tea parlors. The New York of the Statue of Liberty, Times Square, and the Chrysler Building. Woody Allen’s New York. Charlie Parker’s New York. Audrey Hepburn’s New York. Jackie O’s New York. Anna Wintour’s New York. David Letterman’s New York. MY New York...!

I'm writing about Jack Kerouac’s New York here:

Carmela [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

I'm totally smitten with this post! Beautiful snaps of NYC! I Love New York!

Looking Glass [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

Oh how I love this amazing city! So very different to sleepy little Sydney.

~ Clare x

Sohl in the City [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates


barefoot duchess [Reply] said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates

that's a very lovely post... I dream of NY!

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping in to say hello -- it's lovely to hear from you!

j u s t a f e w t h i n g s
Please note that due to the inordinate amount of spam, comments with links to other sites may not be published; all self-promotion & promotions of give-aways on other sites will not be published; additionally, please include your blog address in the box provided, and not in the body of your comment.

Thank you xo