In 1803, the house was sold to Pauline Leclerc, Napoleon Bonaparte’s sister. When the First Empire was proclaimed in 1804, Pauline became imperial Princess Borghese and the hôtel de Charost became the centre of a small, but fully-fledged court. Much of the luxurious furniture and decoration survives intact from this period to date.
In 1814, the hôtel de Charost was purchased by the Duke of Wellington, newly appointed British ambassador to France. The house then became the first embassy building purchased abroad by a British government, and remains one of the most spectacular historic homes in the French capital and the most impressive of all British ambassadorial residences abroad.
[images : all images, hôtel de charost, with the exception of no. 03 // the all photography by francis hammond // via la closerie & international syndication // also : gov.uk]